I don’t want to jinx it, but is summer finally here?! It looks like it, and I for one couldn’t be happier!
With the sun officially shining and lots of you booking your summer holidays, it’s a good time to get to grips with your new summer style.
With the added heat just going about daily life, avoiding any excess heat styling is always a top tip for keeping your hair in good condition, and also when it comes to skin caking on the makeup as those rays beat down is one sure fire way to break out when you want it the least. But don’t worry, this doesn’t mean you have to adopt frizzy hair and makeup free skin for the hot months to come, it just involves a little tweaking to the old routine.
Perfect your summer style with these pro hair and makeup tips on looking great whilst keeping your hair and skin happy:
Flawless Summer Makeup
Take extra care in the summer months to start your makeup routine with fresh, clean skin. With the heat causing us to sweat more, clogged pores are a definite risk so treat yourself to a lovely refreshing skin scrub to prep the surface.
Always moisturize to keep your skin smooth and hydrated and leave to sink in for at least 5 minutes before beginning to apply your makeup.
For beautiful summer style, you’re going to want to go for that barely there look we’ve looked at in a previous blog, but even if you have problem skin you won’t be lacking the coverage you’re after as long as you use the right technique.
Stippling is a fantastic way to apply your base for a soft, airbrushed finish, that allows your skin to breath. Whether you’re using a full foundation, a tinted moisturizer or something in-between, stippling is the way forward! Get yourself a stippling brush and follow these tips for flawless summer style:
1.Pop some of your chosen base makeup onto the back of your hand, grab your stippling brush and dab into the makeup until the brush is coated.
2. Dot the brush all over your face, ensuring even coverage by going in lines out from the nose, across your cheekbones, along your jawline, chin, forehead and then down the bridge of your nose. You should be left with small dots of foundation all over your face like pixels.
3. Once your happy that you’ve covered all areas, start swirling the brush over your skin very lightly, so only the softest and longest bristles of the brush are touching your face. Slowly buff the foundation until the individual dots are gone and you’re left with a smooth finish.
4. Complete your base by using your finger or a soft concealer brush to cover around the eyes and nose and dot/blend concealer over any blemishes.
Heat Free Beachy Waves
You can avoid heat styling during summer months to save your mane, but still rock perfect beachy waves to complete your summer style.
1.Wash or rinse your hair, towel dry and spritz with your favourite salt spray. You can either try making this yourself or go for one of my favourites – Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray. Comb through some leave in conditioner to help fight frizz.
2. Take a small section of hair about two inches wide and twist from root to tip. Comb through the section with your fingers as you go to ensure that all the hair in the section is getting a good twist.
3. Twist right the way down to the end of your hair, bring the tip up to the crown of your head and secure with a clip.
4. Repeat this process all over your head, starting at the front on one side, round to the back and then begin on the other side, twisting in the opposite direction, to the back. For best results, make sure you are always twisting away from your face.
5. Sleep on it. In the morning, un-clip and gentle comb your fingers through your hair to release the waves. Flip your head upside down and gently rake through with your fingers and tousle. Flip back up and there you have it – perfect beach style with no heat!